Valley of Vision

9:46 PM


Lord, high and holy, meek and lowly,Thou hast brought me to the valley of vision,
where I live in the depths but see Thee in the heights;
hemmed in by mountains of sin I behold Thy glory.
Let me learn by paradox that the way down is the way up,
that to be low is to be high,
that the broken heart is the healed heart,
that the contrite spirit is the rejoicing spirit,
that the repenting soul is the victorious soul,
that to have nothing is to possess all,
that to bear the cross is to wear the crown,
that to give is to receive,
that the valley is the place of vision.
Lord, in the daytime stars can be seen from deepest wells,
and the deeper the wells the brighter Thy stars shine;
let me find Thy light in my darkness,
Thy life in my death,
Thy joy in my sorrow,
Thy grace in my sin,
Thy riches in my poverty,
Thy glory in my valley.
- Arthur Bennett



I've been quiet on this blog for a while and that has been on purpose. I wasn't quite sure how to articulate everything that has happened since the beginning of the new year. The Lord has been teaching me so much, and I needed time to just rest in Him. 

I have had friends from back home decide that they no longer wanted to be a part of my life. The car that I saved for and purchased less than 4 months ago was totaled in an accident. And I’ve been seeking wisdom and answers for my next step as my internship comes to a close.

Throughout this season, it has been easy to complain and wonder why I've been dealt this hand. As if uprooting and moving to a new state wasn't stressful enough, now all of this. 

I hiked up to the mountain-top overlook this past week to view the sunrise. If you know me personally, you know that mornings are not my favorite, but I needed time alone with God. I needed time away from the world with just me and Him. So, I set out while it was still dark, and I made my way up the mountain with my headlamp lighting my path. After reaching the top, I took a seat and waited for the sun to show its face. The colors of the sky changed rapidly over the 20-minute span I was there. First, the colors were pink, orange, and a little purple. As minutes passed, the colors faded into blue, and then, the sun ceased to be seen. I started thinking that maybe it was too cloudy to see the sun on this morning, maybe the color show was now complete, and maybe I should leave too. However, I didn’t. I stayed for a few more minutes, and
before my eyes, the colors were revealed again. Only this time, they were darker and deeper than before. The sun peaked over the mountain range, and the clouds unveiled a cotton-candy-colored performance. It was one of the most beautiful sunrises I have ever seen.  

The Lord used this sunrise as a teaching tool. The sky was cloudy, the sun was nowhere to be found, and the pretty, vibrant colors had faded. But, after waiting just a little longer, the real show began. The Lord showed me that although right now might not be very pretty, something better and more beautiful is coming. He has already prepared a way, and just like the sun-- His glory will always be revealed and shine brightly through the darkness.  

No matter your season, no matter your circumstance, remember that He has already prepared a way. Something better is coming, and as the poem above states, His glory will be shown even in your valley.


  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Your comments make my day! No, I'm serious. I'll do the happy dance. :)