2018: a year of change

2:12 PM

At the beginning of this year, I had high hopes and big plans. The plan was to graduate from community college, work in North Carolina over the summer, and transfer to university in the fall. I have a feeling God smiled as I poured these plans out to Him knowing that He had much bigger things in store. 

If you have followed my story for any length of time, you know that a lot of unexpected things happened this year. So many plans changed, so many new adventures, and yet in the midst of it all—peace.


January - 
I traveled to Chicago to visit a dear friend. I was able to explore the city and make new memories with my precious friend. I also lost my apartment that I was living in, but the Lord provided a loving family that took me in. People that I barely knew opened their home and showed me so much love. I am forever grateful for the Lord's provision. 

May - 
I graduated college with a 3.6 GPA and a whole lot of memories. I wrote a blog post about my experience, and it went semi-viral. My post was published in the school's monthly magazine. The day following graduation, I moved into my dorm at Ridgecrest for my second year as a recreation summer staffer. I didn't know it at the time, but I also met someone who would quickly become one of my best friends. 

June - 
My Toyota Camry caught fire and left me stranded on the side of the interstate. I didn't know it then, but that event would be the first of a series that would completely turn my life upside down. 

July - 
I learned that going to the university like I had originally planned in the fall wasn't going to be an option anymore. The apartment that I had planned on living in when I returned to Louisiana fell through, and I didn't have the money to buy a new car yet either. I was broken. I cried a lot in July and prayed a lot more. I was so confused and wondered what was coming next. 

Then, I was offered an internship. Room and board provided, no car needed, and just enough pay to continue saving for a replacement car. It was my dream job. A creative position working for a ministry. Again, God showed me that He had much better plans than mine. 

August -
I moved into a different dorm on Ridgecrest campus and started the internship. I made new friends and started learning so much about marketing and what it looks like to run a non-profit behind the scenes. I found a new church to call home with people who are on fire for the Lord and serving the local community. 

October - 
I saved up enough money to buy a car! I was able to find a Subaru Forester '02 in green--which had been my dream car forever. I also started partnering with a local ministry that helps children in the foster care system as their part-time photographer. 

This year I started reading a lot more books. I listened to a lot of new artists. I opened an IRA and researched investing. I moved to a new state. Made a new best friend. Changed churches, banks, and cars. I let go, lost a lot, but gained so much more. The Lord has been so gracious and has given me so much. He is teaching me how to surrender fully to Him, to rest in His faithfulness, and pursue peace. I already have big plans for 2019, but bigger than my plans, is my trust that the Lord is holding my tomorrow. 

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. Loved reading your blog Grace!!! I hope all is well at Ridgecrest! Keep writing your blogs and continue to draw near to God each and every day!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day! No, I'm serious. I'll do the happy dance. :)